Nonna Maria Lenzarini’s Brodo Di Pollo
To celebrate the return of our raviolini we have decided to share with you Renee’s Nonna Maria’s recipe for Brodo di Pollo (chicken broth). Nonna Maria’s cooking invokes memories of good times, laughter and fun. This is homestyle cooking at it’s absolute best, a cure for everything and an ideal dinner to prepare for your family.
Serving Suggestion: Ottimo as a primo piatto (first course). Trust us, you won’t even need to call anyone to the table.
Learning to make a good broth is absolutely paramount in Italian cooking. Adapt this recipe to create a beef or vegetarian stock. The best part, is that you can freeze it for use in other dishes such as minestrone or risotto.
- 500g of organic chicken breast and/or bones
- 1/2 a brown onion, peeled
- 1 medium carrot, peeled
- 1 stick of celery
- 2 cloves of garlic (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- A generous piece of lemon rind
- A few basil leaves
- A little salt & black pepper to taste
- 3-4 litres of water
- A mixture of parmigiano and pecorino
- Golden Ravioli fresh Raviolini di Carne (10-15) per person
- Place all the ingredients in a large pot and pour in the water.
- Bring the ingredients to the boil, then turn the heat to low and gently simmer, covered, for at least 2 hours for maximum flavour. The more you cook it the richer the flavour gets! Don't forget to taste it - checking the seasoning as you go.
- Discard all the solid ingredients and allow to cool. Strain the broth using a sieve and refrigerate.
- When the stock is cold, remove any solidified fat from the surface with a slotted spoon.
- Bring the broth back to the boil and cook raviolini over a medium heat until al dente.
- Serve hot brodo immediately with a sprinkling of cheese and a classic, light Italian red wine.