Pasta Al Forno Con Melanzane
The definition of this dish is “baked in the oven,” which means it’s perfect to make over the weekend on a wintery day and the best part is, there will always be leftovers. It’s easy to make and simply buonissimo!! Un consiglio: a glass of red wine would be the ideal companion.
Serving suggestion: 200g / person
- 2 eggplants (depending on how much you love melanzane), sliced
- One hard-boiled egg/per person, quartered
- Il sugo (a basic tomato sauce)
- 500g of short pasta, like rigatoni (Which we have available in store)
- 250g mozzarella, cubed
- Italian Parmigiano, grated
- Lots (and we mean lots) of fresh basil
- Firstly we need to prepare the eggplant. Salt each piece well and let sit for approximately an hour.
- Once time is up rinse and pat dry to remove any excess water.
- In true Calabrese style we fry the eggplant and then cut each slice into 5-6 strips.
- Cook the pasta of your choice in a large pot of salted, boiling water but only for half the recommended cooking time.
- While your pasta is cooking prepare the sugo ((or use one of your favourites – like ours :)) and place it to one side.
- Once cooked, drain the pasta and add a little bit of sauce to prevent it from sticking.
- Here comes the fun part … place a ladle full of sauce on the bottom of an oven tray and put in half your pasta.
- Top with another layer of sauce, a sprinkling of parmigiano, eggplant, half the boiled eggs, mozzarella and some more sauce.
- Repeat the layers and top with grated parmigiano and fresh basil leaves.
- Place in the oven and cook for approximately 20 minutes … until the pasta is nice and crunchy on top.